Wrap top: DVF wrap dress refashion

I have trouble throwing out and giving away handmade items of clothing, which means my wardrobe or ironing basket (which is where I often hide garments) is generally overly full. The up side of this mess, is that when I want to make something from an older garment, I mostly still have it hiding around. This top is one of those makes.

Earlier in winter, I saw a few wrap tops online that were styled with wide leg trousers. While I love wearing wide leg pants, there is certainly a different style of top needed to wear with them. In my experience, you need to wear a shorter, boxy top (which isn’t all that appropriate at school) or a more fitted top. This wrap is fitted and a bit more interesting than a regular top.

The top itself is an older DVF wrap dress (which you can see here) that I chopped off and hemmed with a hem band. The fabric – a viscose jersey – was originally from Tessuti and is a deep eggplant colour. I hadn’t worn the dress for a couple of years and it isn’t easy to wear a wrap dress on Kindergarten, so I’m sure I won’t miss it.

I particularly love wearing it with this silk scarf that I also made with Tessuti fabric. It just works and it’s easy to pull together on hectic mornings. (Apologies for the crappy photos. I have to play with them so you could see the wrap 🙂

Lodo Top

Once again, I’ve taken a short break from blogging and now have a stack of little projects to share. Over the coming week posts will be light on words, but I really want my finished items to be recorded here for me.

Here is a Lodo top or tank. Based on the True Bias Lodo pattern and even using the same fabric as my first Lodo dress.

I love the simple boxy shape of this and anticipate sifting through my stash for more small remnants to make more of these for Summer.

🙂

Sapporo Coat x 2

I don’t seem to be able to get through a winter without making a new coat. This isn’t an exceptionally warm coat, due the the drafted shorter sleeves, but I really, really love it’s versatility.

I really wanted more of a throw on layer when I made this coat, rather than a proper very cold weather garment. So I made a few short cuts – well one major one. I didn’t line either of these Sapporo Coats, they are just serged on the inside 🙂 This made construction super fast.

This first Sapporo was made with a poly wool coating from Spotlight. I had seen this fabric floating around sewing Insta and when I saw it on sale snapped it up just to make this coat. I frays like mad and it’s not super quality wool, but the colours are ace. I actually don’t mind the poly content in the fabric. It is not scratchy and I have thrown the fabric in the machine to preshrink and it came up new.

During construction of this coat, I decided to just throw it together without worrying about matching any checks or lines. Interestingly, the whole front of the garment matched up exactly. On the back one of the diagonal seams also aligned and the other is just slightly off, which now bugs me just a tad. This mostly matching fluke now makes me happy. I suspect I would have been too critical if it hadn’t matched at all and probably wouldn’t have worn the coat.

As drafted the Sappora coat is a quite long, which I really didn’t like in this fabric. It just felt like a little too much. So I chopped off a few inches and now it is the best thing to throw on. It’s one of those items that people stop you to ask about it, which I do like.

This item is wearable like the Tessuti New York Cape (mine are here and here), which I still own and often wear both. They are just a quick, throw on warm layer for not freezing days, which is mostly what we get here in Sydney.

My second Sappora hasn’t received as much wear at the first. The fabric was from Pitt Trading and it’s also a woven poly coating type fabric. I also picked this up on sale for less than $10 per meter, making this coat quite cheap also. This fabric doesn’t have the same drape as the Spotlight fabric, so wears differently.

I have kept the length as drafted, but think I may also trim this one a little so that it is boxier like the check version. As you can see I played with the stripes a little one this one, angling the pockets a little. The back is also slightly angled, though it’s hard to see in this photo.

So as you can tell, I really dig this pattern. I think I might even revisit it during spring and might make a light weight version.

 

 

Vintage Simplicity 9284

Sometimes a piece of fabric just leaps out at you in a store and you find yourself powerless to resist snapping it up and carting it home.  This is one of those pieces. I snatched it off the remnant table at Pitt Trading during one of their recent Winter sale.

When I got home I rediscovered vintage Simplicity 9284 in my stash and just knew it was meant to be.

The dress fits perfectly and surprisingly I made not modifications to the style of the dress. The only fitting change I made was to shorten the bodice slightly and maybe I raised the hem a smidge.

The front bodice is cut on the bias, which means the dress fits beautifully. The four gore skirt is also bias cut, so it hangs perfectly without clinging.

The fabric appears to be a poly or viscose textured crepe with slight mechanical stretch. It was easy to work with, but still drapey. For a green hater, I’m totally in LOVE with this base colour of this fabric – that deep blue/forest green colour. It just looks fab with brown accessories (I desperately need a new waist belt!) and I love the pink and chartreuse highlights on the flowers.

This is one of those sewing wins. I wore it yesterday for the first time and the girls in my class with a little berko when they saw me. I was also told that it is on trend by a few teachers, so yay! It’s just a dreamy dress! Tis all for now 🙂