Moss Skirt and Swing Tank

Just a quick post today.

A denim moss skirt, made longer than my previous one (circa 2013), which is officially too worn to wear most of the time.

I used a Gorman denim from Clear It in Melbourne. It has a ticking like stripe in red and blue on the underside which slightly shows from the denim side. I wish it were really awesome fabric, but after washing I found white splotchy patches on the denim side, which I just ignored. It’s better than my old Moss skirt, but not perfect. I suspect I’ll have to make another.

The swing tank was a super fast make. I purchased this light, poly, scuba-like panel print from Spotlight. It was priced at $30 pm, which is nuts for Spotty, but it was on sale and I only needed 70cm, so it worked out at about $14.

The pattern is just a variation of many swing type tank tops that I’ve made over the years. I was exceptionally lazy when cutting this one and just laid an existing tank over the fabric to cut it. For an unfitted project like this it works.

Now that I’ve worn this a couple of times – including today – I think I could have left it about a cm or two longer, but I’ll live I’m sure.




Style Arc Margaret Pants

With the weather finally cooling down, I have been able to think about wearing trousers to work again. I’ve made many pairs of trousers in my sewing career, but none of my previous styles were catching my interest any more. So, during one of their recent sales, I went on a bit of a Style Arc binge and now have a few of their patterns waiting in queue. I have made their Elle pant pattern before, but really wanted something a little straighter around the calf and definitely something a little more high waisted for all the sitting on the floor that I do in my day job (no one wants to see butt crack!).

The Margaret stretch woven pants seem to fit the bill nicely.

I have three pieces of quite stretchy pant weight fabric that I have purchased over the past 12 months from Pitt Trading. They have all been from their remnant bin, so were quite cheap, but very nice. They are all very similar to the stretch gaberdine that Style Arc sells and perfect for this pattern.

Anyway, these pants are nice. I made no modifications and they fit really well. I have now cut out two more pairs. It’s going to be a Style Arc pant autumn.

 

Apologies for the crappy before school photos, but at least these pants are documented 🙂


A Simple Refashion

I’m not sure about you, but I have a stash of handmade garments that I just can’t seem to get rid of. Even though they haven’t been worn for years, some things just never get culled. This skirt is made from one of these items.

I made the dress below back in 2011. It was one of the first garments that I was really proud of. This was back in the day when I didn’t know much about fabric or sewing.

Despite the fact that this dress is made with quilting cotton, I still love it. Maybe it was because my sister gave me the fabric.

Anyway, I’m glad I kept it, because I have now made it into a very wearable skirt for school. I think I’ve worn this at least once every week this year.

So the moral of the story is: Never throw out anything. You will use it again one day (What does Marie Condo know?)

Linen Gauze Skirt and Striped Top

I’ve been a slack blogger and have thought about giving it up, but really, I like having a record of the things that I’ve made. So I’ll hopefully be catching up with a few shorter blog posts over the next couple of weeks.

This is a skirt made with the remnant of linen gauze from Tessuti that I also made this dress with. This linen is super soft and light to wear.

I used the skirt part of Vogue 1174 as the pattern. I had Vogue 1174 out as I had planned to make it up for Frocktails, but alas – time, work, life and other crap got in the way 😉

The top is just another crew neck tank that I can wear with a number of items in my wardrobe. Another simple, but welcome wardrobe staple.

Hopefully more posts will follow.