My sister sent me her remnant of this poplin from The Fabric Godmother and knew it would become a great summer dress. While the fabric is listed as lawn on the site, it’s definitely more of a poplin weight with less drape and definitely not sheer like normal lawn (read: this frock is unlined!!)
I’ve been wanting to make a button front dress for a while and the Kew dress fit the bill as it didn’t have a gathered skirt, which wouldn’t have worked with this fabric, and it suited my scant remnant – just 1.2m!! Interestingly this fabric was used in one of the Kew dress pattern samples, so I knew it would work. It was also used on the Colette Penny dress samples, if it looks familiar.
I really love the dress. The bodice fits well and the skirt has just the right amount of flare. I was worried about the colour of the frock with my skin, but I have worn it twice already, as pictured and it feels nice and light and summery.
I didn’t make any fitting changes to the dress aside from slightly grading the waist and fitting the straps as I sewed. The cork-like buttons were found at Lincraft after wandering down the button section for about an hour. Buttons are so hard to find! Especially wood or metal ones that don’t cost a fortune. I think there are 16 or 18 buttons down this dress, so clearly I didn’t want to use any that cost $1 a piece.
I’m planning on making another Kew dress but with a gathered skirt next time.
Happy sewing friends!