Ogden Cami Hack – Xmas Dress

I don’t religiously make a Xmas dress, but this year inspiration hit after buying this awesome viscose from Ruche Fabrics in Launceston during our recent Tassie holiday. They source a portion of their fabrics from Tessuti, so if this looks familiar, you may have also seen it there.

This viscose is pretty spesh. It’s light and flowy, but totally opaque, meaning no lining is needed – yay!! While I’m not too old, I am kinda old-school when it comes to fabric sheerness and line most of my garments. I just don’t want to show off the outline of my legs in the sun, which can happen often in my job, walking around the playground. No kid, or parent, wants to see that.

Now the pattern is a favourite, but not overly wearable one for me – the Ogden Cami from True Bias. You see, I have a confession. My skin is pretty crappy and I still get spots on my back┬á­čÖü┬á┬áI wish I had flawless, smooth skin, but in reality I’m freckly, spotty and blergh!

While the open, stringy stye of the Ogden is light and summery, it unfortunately shows off my icky back a little too much. So now, I fixed it! yay!

I drafted a racer style back for the Ogden, which, while still cool to wear, hides a little more of my back.

I lengthened the cami pattern by as much as my fabric would allow – a few inches above the knee – ┬áthen added a simple ruffle, which for reference is gathered 2 to 1 in ratio.

I adore the dress. I wore it on the weekend for our first family Xmas bash. The dress wears perfectly with a simple tie, but also without, for after you’ve indulged too much ­čÖé

Kew Dress

Another make. 

My sister sent me her remnant of this poplin from The Fabric Godmother and knew it would become a great summer dress. While the fabric is listed as lawn on the site, it’s definitely more of a poplin weight with less drape and definitely not sheer like normal lawn (read: this frock is unlined!!)

I’ve been wanting to make a button front┬ádress for a while and the Kew dress fit the bill as it didn’t have a gathered skirt, which wouldn’t have worked with┬áthis fabric, and it suited my scant remnant – just 1.2m!! Interestingly this fabric was used in one of the Kew dress pattern samples, so I knew it would work. It was also used on the Colette Penny┬ádress samples, if it looks familiar.

I really love the dress. The bodice fits well and the skirt has just the right amount of flare. I was worried about the colour of the frock with my skin, but I have worn it twice already, as pictured and it feels nice and light and summery.

I didn’t make any fitting changes to the dress aside from slightly grading the waist and fitting the straps as I sewed. The cork-like buttons were found at Lincraft after wandering down the button section for about an hour. Buttons are so hard to find! Especially wood or metal ones that don’t cost a fortune. I think there are 16 or 18 buttons down this dress, so clearly I didn’t want to use any that cost $1 a piece.

I’m planning on making another Kew dress but with a gathered skirt next time.

Happy sewing friends!