I don’t seem to be able to get through a winter without making a new coat. This isn’t an exceptionally warm coat, due the the drafted shorter sleeves, but I really, really love it’s versatility.
I really wanted more of a throw on layer when I made this coat, rather than a proper very cold weather garment. So I made a few short cuts – well one major one. I didn’t line either of these Sapporo Coats, they are just serged on the inside 🙂 This made construction super fast.
This first Sapporo was made with a poly wool coating from Spotlight. I had seen this fabric floating around sewing Insta and when I saw it on sale snapped it up just to make this coat. I frays like mad and it’s not super quality wool, but the colours are ace. I actually don’t mind the poly content in the fabric. It is not scratchy and I have thrown the fabric in the machine to preshrink and it came up new.
During construction of this coat, I decided to just throw it together without worrying about matching any checks or lines. Interestingly, the whole front of the garment matched up exactly. On the back one of the diagonal seams also aligned and the other is just slightly off, which now bugs me just a tad. This mostly matching fluke now makes me happy. I suspect I would have been too critical if it hadn’t matched at all and probably wouldn’t have worn the coat.
As drafted the Sappora coat is a quite long, which I really didn’t like in this fabric. It just felt like a little too much. So I chopped off a few inches and now it is the best thing to throw on. It’s one of those items that people stop you to ask about it, which I do like.
This item is wearable like the Tessuti New York Cape (mine are here and here), which I still own and often wear both. They are just a quick, throw on warm layer for not freezing days, which is mostly what we get here in Sydney.
My second Sappora hasn’t received as much wear at the first. The fabric was from Pitt Trading and it’s also a woven poly coating type fabric. I also picked this up on sale for less than $10 per meter, making this coat quite cheap also. This fabric doesn’t have the same drape as the Spotlight fabric, so wears differently.
I have kept the length as drafted, but think I may also trim this one a little so that it is boxier like the check version. As you can see I played with the stripes a little one this one, angling the pockets a little. The back is also slightly angled, though it’s hard to see in this photo.
So as you can tell, I really dig this pattern. I think I might even revisit it during spring and might make a light weight version.