Sadie Tunic

I’m super pleased with this Sadie Tunic from Style Arc. I purchased the pattern on a whim, not certain if it would be me, but with this simple dot viscose from Pitt Trading, it works a treat.

The pattern came together quite easily. I was extremely worried about the sleeve pattern, which you can see here on Insta, but I just followed the instructions (as you always should) and it worked.

I love the volumous sleeves and the twist along the bottom, which is hard to photograph, just adds a little more interest.

The only change I made to the pattern was to shorten the tunic to more of a longer shirt length. 
I wore this to school today and received a number of compliments, not from the kids as it’s just black and white. Clearly it is very suitable for work and perfect to hide the result of wayward paint brushes in the hands of kindergarteners. 

Ebony Tee x 3

When I purchase a new sewing pattern, I like to think that I’ll use it a few times to get my value out of it. I always hate a once-used purchase. Thankfully the Ebony Tee by Heather at Closet Case Patterns isn’t a ‘once only’ pattern. In fact, I’ve already made it three times!

First, I have a modified Ebony raglan tee in stretch velvet and thick, white, poly knit fabric which I picked to match the weight of the velvet and so that it wouldn’t be sheer.

I was totally inspired by a Pinterest image with this make – though the inspiration tee was made with olive green velvet. This teal stuff was available at Pitt Trading when I headed there early in the school holidays, so it was an easy way forward.

I really love the fit of the raglan sleeves in this pattern. I love a fitted sleeve and I really like the swing bodice.

I’m surprisingly pleased with this make. I think it will get a lot of wear. The only change made to the pattern was to reduce some of the swing in the bodice due to fabric restrictions.

Next Ebony is a french terry knit jumper, made with fabric from Maai Design.

This fabric is wild! I love wild, but I think this take it a bit further. This isn’t a make that it trying to emulate a commercial product, but I think I like it.

I haven’t had a chance to wear this yet, as the weather hasn’t been cool enough, but I’m hopeful it will work in my wardrobe. With this jumper, I made View A with a jewel neckline, but sized up so that this can be worn as a jumper, over other garments.

Lastly, Ebony No.3 was my test garment. This fabric was also from Pitt Trading and purchased from their remnant bin for just $3 per meter. It’s more pink than orange, which doesn’t show in the photos and is just an easy to wear top.

I’m super pleased with all three of these garments and I love that they all look so different. There will definitely be more Ebony tees in the future.

Ansa Dress

I’ve not sewn many Named patterns, but couldn’t help myself when the Ansa dress was released earlier this year. As it happened, I had just been to Spotlight and spied this microfibre on sale and knew it would be a good match. I don’t sew often with microfibre, well actually, I don’t sew with it at all, but it is thin and stable and draped well, so knew it would work.

This pattern was easy to put together and seems very easy to wear. As the print on my fabric is rather busy, I omitted sweet heart panelling on the front of the dress. Instead I overlapped the bodice top and bottom portion at the sewing line of the sweet heart seam and cut the front in one piece. The only other minor changes I made was to slightly shorten the sleeves as they seemed a little too long for my frame and lengthened the dress slightly
I plan on wearing this frock more or less as pictured during winter with a cardigan or coat. I’m also planning on making the top version too.

I really like this dress and hope to make version for wear in warmer weather.

Farrow Dress

As you can see from these pictures, I very clearly ripped off, I mean, was inspired by Jen’s version of the Farrow made in the same Liberty Lantana.

I’m not known for my love of green, but I really love this Liberty Lantana from The Fabric Store. It’s much more substantial for wear in winter, and even though my dress is sleeveless, it will be just fine with either a tee under or a cardigan and coat. I spent quite a while cutting this fabric to ensure a nice centre front and back seam, then realised those little circles on the fabric weren’t uniform. So there was quite a bit of basting and unpicking to get a nice seam, which is a little off centre, but you can’t tell when I wear it.
The dress is simple and fits well. I’m a little concerned that the fabric doesn’t have enough drape. I took a side angle shot, which is horribly out of focus as Adele was operating the camera at the time, but it looks very triangle. Hopefully the fabric will soften a little more and drape better after a few wears.

I adore the pockets! The only change I made to the pattern was to use self bias instead of facings, which works just as well, and naturally I lengthened it a little.

I’ll definitely be making more Farrows in my future.