Talk about a queue jumper!!
Thankfully, my school holidays have coincided quite nicely with the release of the latest pattern offering by Victory Patterns, the Hannah dress. When this pattern first dropped I knew I had to have it. Initially, I thought I’d wait to see what other people make with it, but then that rational voice in my head was overpowered by an impulsive, sewing obsessed, crazy lady that hit ‘buy’ without even considering how she’d print that brand-spanking-new pattern baby.
You see my printer is currently dead. So without my work printer due to school holidays, I relied on my father to print this pattern for me. Sounds easy, but here’s where I need to add a big disclaimer to my review of this pattern – my dad did not print this pattern to scale. Any reasonable person would say thanks, and then wait to make it with a pattern printed correctly. Me? I just guesstimated that I should make one size bigger and it would work… well it mostly worked.
So this pattern review will not include a review of the pattern sizing (note the length of my dress – eeek!) , although I believe it would be OK when printed to scale as the proportions seem right.
Let me say that I LOVE this dress! I love the look and I really, really, really loved making it.
This is my first time making a hidden placket and the pattern instructions were spot on. I followed them to the letter, which is rare for me and the finished result is perfect. As a result of my pattern printing issues (curse you pattern not printed to scale!!) I found the neckline a wee bit too high, so chopped a little from the front neckline before finishing so that it sits where I prefer. This is just a personal preference thing for me, not a drafting problem.
That back design just rocks!
It doesn’t happen often, but the Hannah dress construction baffled me almost to the end. When tackling a pattern with such an unusual design it is wise to read over the pattern instrutions before sewing, but even then I could not conceptualise how the dress would come together. Because of this I pretty much followed all of the instructions on the pattern (shock!!) and really enjoyed the process of making.
I think the construction of the dress is really clever and I liked that Kristiann included instructions for when to finish seams, as I really wasn’t sure how or when they would be finished.
I really love the deep pockets and the relaxed look of the dress.
The fabric I have used here is a poly, rayon, linen blend from My Hung that has a little stretch. It is extremely drapey, which I think you need with this pattern to achieve a nice look with those back folds. One note when selecting fabric for this frock, along the back neck where all those folds meet the neckline, there are 5 layers of fabric, add to that the binding for the neckline and there can be a lot of bulk to manage. My fabric is about the weight of linen and it worked, but it did need some convicing, You certainly wouldn’t want anything thicker as it would be hard to manage. I think this frock would look fab in a sandwashed silk, which is a plan of mine. A nice viscose would also work well, but my next, which will hopefully happen soon will be made from rayon.
The shaped hem is lovely, but one of my few modifications was to remove most of the high/low hem. Due to my pattern printing issues, my dress did turn out shorter than it should have. It was too short for me to wear to work, so rather than add a false hem, I chose to shorten it more and plan to wear it with skinnies or leggings to work.
I really enjoyed making this dress and already plan to make a second with some great rayon that I bought today from Tessuti. When I make my second I plan to start with a pattern printed to scale 🙂 The only change I intend to make to my second it to lengthen the skirt and remove the high/low hem, which is just a style preference for me. I love this dress and I highly recommend the pattern. I don’t often gush about a pattern, but I really love everything about this frock.
Jump on it peeps and make your own Hannah dress!