As I mentioned in my last post, I have a significant backlog of finished garments to blog. I do feel the pressure to post my finished items here, not to keep anyone in particular happy, but so that I have a record of my sewing. To ensure I sort my backlog, I am now publicly committing to blogging once a day each day this week to catch up. Now I’ve said it, I will make myself do it 🙂
Now back to my regular programming. The week before last I headed to Spotty with a friend and purchased two pieces of stretch sateen that were not on sale. Can you imagine?? As you can now guess, I received Spotty’s latest catalog today and stretch sateen will be on sale this week and there is a coupon for a further discount. I’m not too bummed about this as I know that I have what I wanted and I’ve also sewn up both pieces relatively quickly into things that I love.
My butterflies sateen has been transformed into a simple, short shift dress. Perfect for wearing with tights in winter.
Once again I used New Look 6145, which I have used numerous times before to make ponte tops and knit dresses (with a few modifications). As I was using a woven this time, a first with this pattern, I went back to the original pattern and fitted throughout construction. The key modifications were deepening the back darts, shaping the back along the zipper and taking in the sides a little. I also sewed up a size 8, which is smaller than my usual Big 4 size. This is largely due to reviewing the finished garment measurements and basing my choice on those.
I really like this dress. It’s not the most suitable for all teaching days – kindy might be hard – but I do plan to wear it to work tomorrow.
I have so much more to show you. I hope you have a great week!