I’ve been feeling the need to make a less practical garments lately. Something I don’t need. Something not specifically for work. Something that isn’t a basic. Something for me. So naturally I made a summer frock!
I do love dresses and this will is suitable for work, even though I didn’t make it for that.
I used the free Salme Sonja Dress pattern, which is available from Burda. This pattern has the higher neckline and cut away sleeves that seems to be popular at the moment.
I made a few changes to the pattern during construction, just so this dress would suit my own style. These changes included reducing the cut away at the front and back to avoid showing my bra straps, adding a second bust dart as the first was too low and I couldn’t be bothered unpicking it, grading the waist, reducing the volume of the skirt (as I forgot to cut them with seam allowance), playing with the pleating on the skirt (choosing a deep pleat on the front and back, rather than 4 box pleats) and adding pockets.
I’m really pleased with how this dress turned out. I adore the fabric too. It is a stretch cotton sateen from Spotty. I love it so much that I purchased it even though I was on a stash diet. There are quite a few nice stretch sateens at Spotty these days. This one has a floral stripe running from selvage to selvage in white, pink, yellow, violet and orange on a base of deep navy. I love the white across the hem and I’m hoping the more navy stripe makes me look like I have more of a waist :). The stretch also makes this comfortable to wear.
I have so much more to show you. I’ve been sewing up a storm lately and have a number of makes to show!
I hope you have a good week!