I adore this new dress! I love shirtdresses (always) and was instantly attracted to the gathered skirt. During construction however, I doubted my choice and I worried about ruining this Liberty. Now that it’s finished, I can’t believe how much I love it!! (If only I’d have ironed it better before taking these photos!)
I managed to finish most of this dress before our renovations began. I now have some access to my sewing room, so managed to finish the rest on the weekend.
As you would expect from Grainline, this pattern is drafted impeccably. If you’ve made an Archer, you’ll have no trouble with the Alder. I made a straight size 6 and it fits really well. As this is a more fitted style, I sized up from my preferred Archer shirt size. The Archer is a loose fitting shirt that I’ve sized down from my measurements to achieve the fit that I like.
Surprisingly, the waist seam sits exactly where it should. The only changes I will make for future versions, would be to raise the bust darts and pockets and play a little with the button placement to accommodate the raised bust dart.
I purchased 1.6 meters of Liberty Tiny Dancer and used almost every scrap. I was thoughtful when cutting to align the rows of dancers, but wasn’t too obsessed with pattern matching. I’m not even sure you can pattern match with this fabric. I didn’t have enough fabric to cut the under collar or bias binding, so used black rayon cotton scraps from my stash.
I’m seriously excited about this dress. It’s a little too cool to wear it at the moment, but with thick tights and a warm cardigan or jacket it’s OK. I have this Liberty that may become another version for Summer and some lovely dark chambray, but I guess I need to think about how many shirt dresses I really need….