I love my first Liberty Archer. Even though it’s a long sleeve shirt, I mostly wear it with the sleeves rolled up and the lightness of the fabric is perfect for hot days when you are out and don’t want to get sunburnt.
I had earmarked this fabric for a dress, but really, I don’t need any more dresses.
I think I like this new Archer more than my first!
The fabric is Liberty Ciara in grey, which I picked up online from Tessuti on the remnant page of their online store. I purchased 1.5m for just $33.70, which is a mega bargain for Liberty in Australia and from Tessuti. For the record, you don’t get much change from 1.5m of Liberty when you make a proper button down shirt and I’m not a big person. There are only small scraps left over.
For this version, I again brought the shoulder line in and also shortened the sleeves, as they are way too long as drafted. As I normally roll my sleeves up, I French seamed the sleeves and set them in the round, rather than flat. I had a little trouble easing them in, so might take a little ease out of the sleeve cap next time. I also tried setting the collar and stand flat, like this. I found it much easier, but still stuffed up one side of the collar stand and in fixing it, had to unpick the good side to get them to match up. No big drama and quite common I find when sewing a collar and stand, one side always works perfectly and the other not so.
The only other changes I made was to minimize the edge stitching/top stitching on the shirt. I only do what is absolutely necessary so as not to busy up an already busy shirt.
The buttons are some shiny plastic shank buttons that I inherited from my Nana’s stash. They aren’t fancy, but they look nice enough.
I realize these photos aren’t crash hot and not easy to see the detail, but you’ll just have to believe me when I say this shirt is really, very awesome!
Pattern: Grainline Archer – used before = Free
Fabric: 1.5m Liberty Ciara remnant from Tessuti inc part shipping = $38.70
Thread, interfacing and buttons from stash