This is the first installment in my winter jacket wardrobe for this year.
The fabric was purchased from The Fabric Store last year in one of their 50% off sales. It’s a Marc Jacobs wool coating and if it looks familiar, then it’s because you may have seen it here or here made up with the same pattern!
Once again, I ‘petited’ the pattern, removing a little from the width and length. I made bias for the inner seams with a remnant from this shirt and purchased black wool binding for the outer from Tessuti last year. The buttons were purchased from Lincraft.
I tried my hardest to match the fabric, but for some reason, failed miserably. The sides do not match at all! I think I must have cut it after a very long day. I don’t care though. It is still an awesome cape!
As I purchased a little extra fabric to help with matching, I ended up with a largish piece left over that I couldn’t bring myself to throw out and couldn’t find a reason to keep. So with a little creative pattern drafting (read: lying child on ground over fabric and cutting around her) I made Adele her own New York Cape!!
She’s so cute!!
As I didn’t have any more binding, I lined Adele’s with a poly cotton remnant that has been maturing in the stash for years. The buttons are also left over from my old kids clothes selling days.
The cape isn’t terribly big on her. In fact it will probably only fit her for a few minutes more, but it was fun to make and she loves it.
Pattern: Tessuti New York Cape – used before = Free
Fabric: 2.5m Marc Jacobs wool = $43.75
Inner binding: .5m cotton shirting = $3.50
Outer binding: 3.5m wool binding (I had just over a meter left from my last cape) = $29.75 after discount
Buttons: $9 from Lincraft
Interfacing and thread from stash.
Total: $86! Yikes certainly one of the more expensive items this year!