Archer Button Up Shirt

I have been planning to make a proper button down shirt ever since I saw my sisters two lovely Liberty J Crew shirts the she wore heavily during her trip this year. So was very pleased to see the release of the Grainline Archer Shirt pattern. It certainly saved me a trip to Spotty to purchase McCalls 6436.

For my first Archer attempt I used a light weight black voile/shirting with a window pane type pattern in it. It was only $5.95 per meter from the Remnant Warehouse some months ago, so it wasn’t going to be a tragedy if it didn’t work.

Thankfully it did work and I only made one small error, which possibly happened because I really was to tired to be sewing at the time. I accidentally sewed the collar on upside down, so the under collar shows. This isn’t too much of an issue though as the fabric is black and you can hardly see the seam line.

The fit for the shirt is almost perfect. I made a straight 4 and the only modification was to shave about 3/8 inch from the top shoulder prior to setting the sleeve as I could tell that it was going to be a little too large there. I think I could probably down size the upper part of the pattern for my next variation as there is a little extra fabric pooling at the back of the arm too.

The only other change I will make next time is to shorten the sleeves as they are too long for my arms. I think 3/4 to 1 inch should do it.

The finish on this shirt is pretty darn good. The pattern is drafted really well and no pieces proved challenging to fit. The only warning about this pattern is that it probably assumes intermediate or advanced beginner sewing skills to decode some of the instructions. I did have to think at times about the construction process to ensure I did things right and I still stuffed it up once. However, with the sew a long now happening, I’m sure anyone will be able to follow the pattern.

Now my only question – which Liberty will I use for my next shirt?

Red, blue or grey – advice please!

Cost:
Pattern: Grainline Archer Shirt = $10
Fabric: 1.5m black voile/shirting = $8.95
Buttons: $3
Thread & interfacing: from stash
Total: $21.95

Vintage Vogue 1853: DVF wrap dress V2

I mentioned the last time that I made this frock that I was planing a second and here it is.

This time I used a viscose knit from Tessuti (purchased at our first Sydney Sewing Social). It’s a deep plum/almost black drapey, stretchy knit – perfect for cooler weather that I’m sure will be here soon.

Again, I interfaced the neck binding to prevent stretching over time. This knit is quite stretchy and that impacted the fit. It still fits extremely well, but the v neck does sit lower, so I’ll have to see how that goes at work.

This wrap dress has the perfect amount of flare to the skirt and the wrap crosses over almost fully which will hopefully stop the skirt flying open in the wind. I’m actually yet to my first version of this dress as the weather has been too warm, so this is risky using more pricey fabric on an un-tested pattern.

Not much else to say, except that I’m going to try to steer clear of wrap dresses for a while now 🙂 and possibly also knit dresses. I think I need to attack my woven stash, possibly even some Liberty.

Cost:
Pattern: Vintage Vogue 1853 Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress. Used before = Free
Fabric: 2.2m viscose knit from Tessuti $39
Thread from stash – I used black to avoid a trip to the shops.
Total: $39 – yay!

Mash up: Vogue 1027 & McCalls 5974

Again, I’ve turned to Vogue 1027 for a simple work dress. I love not having to iron the every night before work. These simple stretch dresses are so easy to wash and wear.

This time, in an effort to mix up the style a little, I’ve substituted the half circle skirt from Vogue 1027 with the pleated skirt from McCalls 5974. I actually used the front pleated skirt for both the front and the back of this dress.

I really like this change and the reduced fullness in the skirt will certainly help avoid a wardrobe malfunction on windy days in the playground.

This fabric is a cheap but nice polyester interlock from Spotlight. There is a white small dot all over the fabric to ensure it doesn’t look to serious and dark.

I swear this will be my last variation of this dress for a while…. I hope!

Cost:
Patterns: Vogue 1027, used before = free
McCalls 5974 = $8.00 inc part shipping (approx)
Fabric: 2.2m Polyester interlock from Spotlight = $15.40
Thread from stash
Total: $23.40

And when I’m not sewing, teaching, taking care of the kids, etc, etc.

It appears I’m knitting….

As the school term progresses, I’m getting more and more tired at night. My weekends are full and my day off is more hectic than a day of work. Knitting is easier to manage at the moment.

After almost three weeks, the bodice of my Miette is almost done and I’m more than happy with progress.

Happy ‘hump’ day for tomorrow!