Bubble Dress

More sewing for Adele.

This time the Oliver & S Bubble Dress. I’ve made this dress quite a few times, but my pattern only goes to size 2. When a friend offered her larger size pattern to trace, I jumped at the chance,

This has got to be my favourite little girl pattern ever, I’m even contemplating making a second straight away with some Sarah Jane balloon fabric in my stash. This time I made it complete with scalloped edge, which I adore. This fabric is a Zoe Pearn quilting cotton which I purchased over a year ago.

With a smile like that, this kid is going to regret most of her childhood photos.

Sewing for the girl child

Once upon a time, I used to sew most of my kid’s clothes. Then the boys trashed everything I made, time became more limited and I became more selfish, choosing to sew to me, rather than the kids. But every now and then I feel like I need to use my sewing powers for the good of the family.

There’s nothing like a few surprise warm days to make you realise the kids are in desperate need of summer clothes. I looked over the Target catalogue this week and contemplated stocking up for the family. But really, I do have a substantial quantity of fabric which I could use for the kids. So after a morning of sewing, Adele now has three new pairs of shorts.

Spotlight cotton drill from the discount table. I only had 50cms as it was purchased for her and from memory is was only a dollar or two.

Always the over smile!!

Vintage fabric from the Op Shop. Again only $1 and I have more for something else.

Heather Ross linen cotton fabric which I originally purchased to trim Adele’s backpack. It didn’t match the main fabric well, so this has been maturing in my stash for over a year now.

Cute pockets to hide tissues in, so I get an pleasant ‘snowy’ surprise when I hang the clothes on the line. This pattern is the Oliver & S Puppet Show shorts – a super quick and well sized pattern – which I borrowed from Sam. I made Adele a size 3 and they fit well. The total cost for three pairs of shorts is about $15 inc elastic.

Even though I feel like I’ve contributed a little, I’ll probably still head out to buy her and the boys some new t-shirts. I don’t have much knit fabric in my stash and our hand-me-downs have well and truly dried up now.

So tell me, have you been sacrificing your precious sewing time for the family too?

Alma v2

I think I mentioned that I like this pattern. Here is No.2. Made in Liberty called Picardie.

I like this one better with a contrast tie, which I just happened to have already made up from a dress I made a few years ago.

Close up fabric shot. I am learning it is hard to take self photo with DSLR.

Again I’m happy. I think I like the fabric from my first Alma better, but I’ve still worn this twice since the weekend, so that says everything right??

More sewing adventures to come, but I might give this pattern a rest for now. Two is enough.

Details
Pattern: Sewaholic Alma – used before = free
Fabric: Liberty Picardie from Shaukat. 1.2m inc part shipping = $30 approx
Thread: from stash
Total: $30

M6519. Blue Linen Blazer

My sew-jo has returned in full force – hallelujah!! I guess all I really needed was to meet up with a bunch of inspiring sewists, buy more fabric and get a day off work!!

The concept of this jacket has been brewing for many months. It started when I spied this Boden linen jacket. It was expensive and even though I had the money, I couldn’t part with that much, plus international shipping.  When down in Melbourne, I saw this beautiful duck egg blue linen in the remnant bin at The Fabric Store. I had to buy it!

I’m quite happy with this jacket. It didn’t take too long to make and it looks well enough made, not perfect, but I’m not perfect either.

 
 

I’ve used M6519 before on a yet-to-be-finished mustard ponte jacket. I used the wrong interfacing in the ponte version and don’t think I can take it out. I also found the ponte seams bulky and I really think it needs to be lined but I don’t have anything suitable in my stash and so it sits and collects dust matures.

The up-side to this UFO is that I had tested M6519 and was happy with the overall fit. This definitely fast tracked this more successful blazer.

I made a size 8, but modified the pattern, including:
 – adding a full lining, drafted with this tutorial and one from Sewaholic
 – adding small shoulder pads for shape
 – slightly reshaping the front lapel
 – adding buttons, which surprisingly work with this boxy jacket even though they aren’t drafted in the pattern
 – shortening and rounding the hem
 – omitting the self turned cuffs, opting to show the lining instead
 – drafting my own pockets with lining trim

 
I really like the sleeve style and length. I think it suits the fabric more than full length sleeves as this is a lightweight, warmer weather jacket.
 
The lining fabric is a Lisette voile that I picked up on Friday (my new day off!) from Spotlight. So much for a fabric diet!
 
Im so exciting spring is here. My mind is jam packed with warm weather sewing plans!
 

Project details
Pattern: McCalls M6519 = $7.99 inc part shipping
Fabric: 2m linen remnant from The Fabric Store $20
Lining: 1.2m Lisette voile from Spotlight  $17.95 (full price! ouch!)
Thread: $2.70
Buttons: $2.99
Shoulder pads: $3.99
Total: $55.62

On another note, after recieving 98 spam blog comments within a 5 minute period, I’ve decided to turn on word verification again. I can handle one or two coming through, but not 100. My apologies for reinstating this extra hurdle in the commenting process, but I needs to do it.

Hope you have a great week!