The concept of this jacket has been brewing for many months. It started when I spied this Boden linen jacket. It was expensive and even though I had the money, I couldn’t part with that much, plus international shipping. When down in Melbourne, I saw this beautiful duck egg blue linen in the remnant bin at The Fabric Store. I had to buy it!
I’m quite happy with this jacket. It didn’t take too long to make and it looks well enough made, not perfect, but I’m not perfect either.
I’ve used M6519 before on a yet-to-be-finished mustard ponte jacket. I used the wrong interfacing in the ponte version and don’t think I can take it out. I also found the ponte seams bulky and I really think it needs to be lined but I don’t have anything suitable in my stash and so it sits and
collects dust matures.
I made a size 8, but modified the pattern, including:
– adding a full lining, drafted with this tutorial and one from Sewaholic
– adding small shoulder pads for shape
– slightly reshaping the front lapel
– adding buttons, which surprisingly work with this boxy jacket even though they aren’t drafted in the pattern
– shortening and rounding the hem
– omitting the self turned cuffs, opting to show the lining instead
– drafting my own pockets with lining trim
Pattern: McCalls M6519 = $7.99 inc part shipping
Fabric: 2m linen remnant from The Fabric Store $20
Lining: 1.2m Lisette voile from Spotlight $17.95 (full price! ouch!)
Shoulder pads: $3.99
On another note, after recieving 98 spam blog comments within a 5 minute period, I’ve decided to turn on word verification again. I can handle one or two coming through, but not 100. My apologies for reinstating this extra hurdle in the commenting process, but I needs to do it.
Hope you have a great week!