Quilty

While I haven’t been sewing as much as usual, I have been spending some time in my sewing room cleaning up and sorting. My fabric scraps have been growing at a shocking rate and needed to be tamed. Some of my scraps were from years ago and despite many sewing clean ups, I still couldn’t bear to part with them, even though I had no real use for them.

So after bravely pulling together a massive IKEA bag (one of the big blue bags!) of scraps for my sister, I starting cutting all remaining small scraps into 2.5 inch squares.

So far I have half a box of them. One day it will become a postage stamp quilt, but probably not for a while.

I feel better that I will be able to make use of these scraps and they won’t go to waste.

How do you manage your fabric scraps?

Pleated Top V3

Once I decided to make this project, it came together super quickly. How good does it feel to finish fast and easy projects?

I used Simplicity 2599 for the basic top pattern. As with last time, I cut the back on the fold, eliminating the back button closure. The neckline was slightly lowered and the bust darts raised an inch for fit.

Like last time, the neck pleating was guessed a little. I cut a long strip about 3.5 inches by the length of the fabric, sewed the long sides together with a 1/4 inch seam, turned right way, then pleated by hand. The pleating doesn’t work as effectively as the horse fabric, but still I like it. And really, this is Liberty! So much nicer to wear!

I’m completely happy with this top and know it will be a wardrobe staple. I wore it yesterday and just washed it so I can wear it to school tomorrow.

Thanks again for your advice!

Cost:
Pattern: Simplicity 2599 used many times = free
Fabric: Liberty Pauly Parrot 1.5m from Ebay = $35
Thread from stash
Total: $35

Too many??

How many of any one type of garment do you need? Or more importantly, do you make?

Quite some time ago, I spied a lovely blouse at Emerson Made (now Emerson Fry).

Ahh – lovely!

I loved the  pleated neckline so much that I copied it.

Then I copied it again.

Then my sister gave me an original silk version that was too small for her (yay!).

The grey and pink horse pleated blouse has definitely been one of the most highly worn handmade garments since it was made. I love it and wore it again today. My only gripe about the design is it can be a little time consuming to iron and can get a little creased when you are lugging around numerous bags, as I was today, but all in all, I love it.

So anyway, the question. I have this lovely, lovely Liberty fabric…

Even though my piece of this fabric is a large 1.5m, I really want to make another pleated neck blouse with it, but I already own three. Is it OK to make another? or is a 4th just a little too odd?

Another interesting point – have you noticed the Liberty-like prints that are cropping up at Spotlight??

Can you see my birdy print in there in a poly chiffon or similar? I’m not sure how I feel about them. I think it’s OK as it makes some of these designs more affordable, but it’s interesting still…

Looking forward to hearing from you about the blouse. It has been playing on my mind for a few weeks now, stalling any progress with this fabric.

Vogue 1027

I’m slowly coming to the party with stretch sewing. Even though it’s fast and easy to fit, it is still a little scary and somewhat tricky to get a super nice finish.

This dress though, was a cinch. Super easy, relatively fast and the dress is drafted to give a nice, neat finish.

Even though Vogue 1027 is recommended for two way stretch knits only, I used a one way knit. This super lightweight ponte was purchased from The Remnant Warehouse a few weeks ago. This fabric is so light and drapey, but still stable, and was lovely to work with. It cost $28 for a 2.8 meter piece and to make this fabric eating dress, I used almost all of it.

I cut a straight size 10 for this dress as I was a little concerned about the fit around my waist. The top half is a wee bit large, but certainly looks OK. I think I might size down the top next time. The dress has great bust coverage which was something I was concerned about as I intended to wear this to work and didn’t want to show any cleavage (not much to show – he he) in the classroom – ewww!

The only changes made to the pattern was to cut four or so inches from the hem, omit the waist elastic and I cut the skirt pieces on the grain, as I was concerned the one way stretch would sag un-evenly when cut on the bias.

I’m very happy with this frock and can now understand why this pattern was so highly rated on Pattern Review (best in 2008). The picture above show how I wore it yesterday to work, with a warmer coat over for lunch duty.

Fingers crossed I get to squeeze in a few moment sewing on the weekend. I can’t believe I’m dreaming about the weekend and it’s only Tuesday!

Cost:
Pattern: Vogue 1027 inc part shipping $9
Fabric: Ponte from The Remnant Warehouse $28
Total: $37