I have a love-hate relationship with t-shirts. I love wearing them, but hate buying them. Because of this, I only buy cheap t-shirts and they last like cheap t-shirts do. I’ve tried and tried to make a wearable t-shirt for myself, but never enjoyed much success. You can see my failures here and there is another one on my blog somewhere, but I can’t find it. Clearly my vague blog titles and lack of tagging is now becomming an issue….
Anyway, here are another two fails.
Made with the free Blank Canvas T-Shirt pattern from 3 Hours Past. I made the wrong size, then tried to make it smaller along the side seams, but it didn’t work. the shoulders and sleeves are too big.
My key problem with t-shirt making, me thinks, is that my tightwad, love-hate t-shirt self, never purchased a proper t-shirt pattern. I’ve always tried to fudge up a pattern, but given that I have practically no experience sewing with stretch fabric, I’ve failed and failed and failed. I have tried to save money, but in effect, I have cost myself more money in wasted time and fabric. I should have just purchased a bloody pattern in the beginning!!
Finally, I’ve seen the light and purchased a proper pattern – the Sewaholic Refrew. I was inspired by Marie and Leith’s collection of Refrews that they made for the One Week, One Pattern challenge. They all look great. Much better than my dud t-shirts, which have been relegated to sleep wear or re purposed into tights for Adele.
So, without further ado – let me introduce first Renfrew. View A with 3/4 sleeves.
This was a trial tee made with some cotton jersey that I picked up from the Op Shop here. It only cost $1, so I wasn’t too worried if it didn’t work. Well, imagine my surprise when it turned out completely wearable. The only down side to this tee is the fabric. It’s a little flimsy. More like something you’d make PJs out of, so it has become another PJ top. I didn’t add the waist or cuff bands as I knew this would be a sleep top.
Refrew No 2. View C with 3/4 sleeves
This was made with rayon poly burnout jersey from Spotlight. Again, completely wearable, flattering and comfortable. I wasn’t sure about the cowl neck, but I love it! Can you tell I’m still surprised with myself?? I almost exclusively used my overlocker to make this, except for setting the sleeves. I did not stitch down the neck seam as you can’t see it and it doesn’t sit poorly so why bother.
Refrew No. 3. View A with 3/4 sleeves
This tee was made with a ponte from Spotlight. I know you don’t normally make t-shirts from ponte, but there are limited stretch options for adults at Spotlight. I liked the colour and I figure it will be nice and warm and not stretch out.
I’m extremely happy with how all of these t-shirts have turned out. The pattern fits remarkably well straight from the packet. I made a straight size 2 and the only changes I might make to the next few is to add maybe 1/4 inch to the shoulder and I may try Carolyn’s stretch binding method, especially for any striped versions, to avoid top stitching the neck binding and to allow fabric matching.
Pattern: Sewaholic Refrew = $19 inc shipping
Refrew No 1 = $1 Op Shop
Refrew No 2 = $15.54. 2m Burnout Rayon/Poly Jersey from Spotlight @ 40% off
Refrew No 3 = $11.69 1.3m Ponte from Spotlight @ 40% off.
Thread from stash
Total = $47.23 for three t-shirts
Can’t wait to make more! I might have to buy some posh fabric like Leith for my next batch.